Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Stamps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlopetro View Post
Is that a Crown? (English -> Monarchy -> Crown) Having a stamp sure makes it easier to ID those basses eh?

The insert in the back button of the Hart is sure a classy touch!

I noticed a stamp of 'Birmingham' on one of the posts on TB. None of your bass's stamps bear the location but rather the maker. - Intertesting - I wonder why some would rather mark the location rather than the maker???? Did England have certain areas that where known for instrument making simalir to say Mirecourt in France.

I also wonder if English makers where concerned with a better way of identifying their instruments than paper labels that could be removed? I have seen books with collections of photos of Violin labels, I wonder if anyone has ever catalogued English stamp?

Mystery????
On the Birmingham it is actually 2 lines that says (top) T.DAVIES - (bottom) Birmingham and stamped on either side, 18----98;

On the Hart, what ever was there originally was lost years ago so we made the new 'Coin' to mark the Bass and fill the empty hole.

On the Dodd (Crown?), the first Bass shown, I have no idea what that says in the upper Back. The two diamond shaped patches in the neck button were a from repair done ages ago.

Also, on my Gilkes is has the location as well as the name stamped by the bottom Block on the Ribs;

When stamped, the names are usually shown but on occasion the place might be under it but never without the name unless it's worn away or missing from a repair.