Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > German School of Basses

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Old German French Model

We have discussed a little about the Germans making French copies and these are seen in many early 20th century Basses. Here is a 19th century German Bass. From the slope of the shoulders I would guess that it was copied from a Bernadel rather than the more broad type Cello models of Claudot or the Jacquet family of makers. The Purfling running around the Upper bouts of the Top and Back plates along with the Violin model outline is the French styling I am referring to.

Looking at the Scroll closer you can see the filled in screw holes from the older German plate type gears. They have been replaced by early 20th century French gears with the Bakelite handles. Someone really wanted this Bass to turn French. Actually it was sold to the current owner 'as' a French Bass. Another dealer pricing it for the market told the owner it was either French or German. Why can't they see the difference? This is clearly a German Bass regardless of the features and design.

When I first saw the Bass the glaring German features were the outer Rib linings and the Varnish. This is when the Bass was being uncovered and I only saw the lower Rib. From that alone I knew it wasn't French but rather a 'wannabe' made in Germany.

The sound however is fabulous. A great Orchestra Bass with depth, smooth low end spread but with clarity. For Jazz, it's a Ray Brown type sounding Bass with that fat attack and string sound rolling off your fingers and that's with the Bass strung with Flexocor Starks! If this were strung with Spiro reds I would venture to speculate it would just kill as a Jazz Bass.