Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Set-up starts with the Bass itself and the Fingerboard radius you have. If you like a certain arch and the Fingerboard is over or under rounded for the way you like it, the Bridge arch will not give the desired height from string to string across the FB.
You're not saying that a player should make the best of a fingerboard radius or scoop that doesn't quite fit their preference are you?

I would think that assuming the neck is set correctly, a properly planed fingerboard would be the first step. No?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool set-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clinkingbeard View Post
You're not saying that a player should make the best of a fingerboard radius or scoop that doesn't quite fit their preference are you?

I would think that assuming the neck is set correctly, a properly planed fingerboard would be the first step. No?
I am saying that the Bass can only be set-up as good as the Bass is Neck wise etc. Fingerboard planing or replacing is a bit more than a set-up. I regard set-up as nut, bridge height etc. FB planing etc, is more of a repair to me to correct movement in the neck OR undesired cambering from a previous luthier. Sometimes it is just not how you want it.

I got this on Bass from the UK and it looked like it was adjusted for King Kong. The dealer said it was a standard London Orchestra set-up. I have to have the FB re-cambered, cut a new nut 1mm closer spaced per string, lower the strings and re-cut the bridge arch as well as move them closer 1mm just to play it and not be in pain.

That to me a a bit more than just a set-up but more common than you would think when Basses change hands. Just my opinion here.

Neck sets are often not optimum for playing from what I have seen. Ask Arnold and Jeff how often they re-set a Neck and the percentage of Basses that can and have benefited from this whether it was actually done or not.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Fingerboard planing or replacing is a bit more than a set-up. I regard set-up as nut, bridge height etc. FB planing etc, is more of a repair to me to correct movement in the neck OR undesired cambering from a previous luthier. Sometimes it is just not how you want it.
I have always considered dressing/planning of the fingerboard to be an integral part of any setup. If the fingerboard is not right to begin with, IMO, it would be a total waste of time to do anything meaningful to the nut or bridge. I can't start to count how many times I've had people call me and tell me that they want the "action" lowered and "all the is needed is to lowering the nut and bridge". 95 times out of a 100, the "real" problem is with the fingerboard.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Branstetter View Post
I have always considered dressing/planning of the fingerboard to be an integral part of any setup. If the fingerboard is not right to begin with, IMO, it would be a total waste of time to do anything meaningful to the nut or bridge. I can't start to count how many times I've had people call me and tell me that they want the "action" lowered and "all the is needed is to lowering the nut and bridge". 95 times out of a 100, the "real" problem is with the fingerboard.
Applause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool agreed, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Applause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree Arnold and Bob BUT, my point is that after the FB is done, the Bass can still be set-up 6 ways from Sunday!

I have changed the set-up on several of my Basses as far as height and spacing without needing the already worked FB re-done. Just because some people need more or less camber than others it doesn't mean the FB 'always' has to be done over.

Can we agree on this gentleman? and Arnold? (lol goes there..lol)

Talk about dissin the host.. geesszzz..
Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

I think the main point Bob was making, to which I applauded, was this: very often, the fingerboard is a mess, and no amount of adjusting to the bridge, nut, post, or camshaft will make that bass play well. No disrespect meant, Ken.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

Camshaft? Wrong forum?WTFIT
Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No disrespect meant, Ken.
I'll second that.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool FB..

Quote:
I think the main point Bob was making, to which I applauded, was this: very often, the fingerboard is a mess, and no amount of adjusting to the bridge, nut, post, or camshaft will make that bass play well. No disrespect meant, Ken.
I agree 100% with that especially in your business which is why they came there in the to begin with. If it wasn't broke, they wouldn't need it fixed in the first place.

Again, my point in set-up is set-up and not repair. I agree that the FB must be right to do the best set-up but if the FB is ok and you make all the other adjustments needed for the player or desired style of playing, isn't that setting up the Bass as well?

Bob? Arnold? Jeff?

Lets make a menu of all the points concerning the set-up, shall we? Also, what if the FB is thin and re-cambering will not be as effective on a thin board as it would be on a new thicker board. Would putting a new board on the Bass be part of set-up? Would a new Bridge be part of set-up?