Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pino Cazzaniga View Post
I saw some Rubner and some Pollmann instruments with two holes in the block, one for the end button and one for the endpin. I don't like it so much, but it make easier to look at the soundpost fit when the basses are strung.
About bent endpins I have no experience, as none of my clients use them.
I made some "all wood" stuff . The button has a conical hole in which a shaft ( also conical at the upper part ) is fit. At the tip of the shaft a screw is sharpened for wooden floors. The hole need to be waxed to take the shaft off. For different heights it need different shafts, plus one, very short, to transport. It seem to work with sound, mostly with readyness, even with rubber, but it may be a little romantic feeling, it's hard to say...
I assume that by having the tailpiece tied to the end-button instead of the end-pin it would reduce the tension of the tailpiece on the body. Perhaps this would work for an old, fragile instrument that's very thinly built...In my experience Pollman's are built like a TANK, so I don't know why two holes are necessary.